Sunday 29 November 2015

Nothing like family/ The week-end which saw my revival

Mum gathered the family around a great dinner for my birthday tonight. It was absolutely lovely and I felt happy and truly blessed to have my loved ones around me. The conversation revolved around the day I was born, the cyclone, my dad being feverish that night and asking my sister who was ten to prepare dinner, then putting everyone in the car and braving the rain and the winds to bring my mum,who was having terrible contractions to the clinic. I was born sharp at midnight when the cyclone was at its peak and the roof of the clinic was being 'blown away'. I never get enough listening to this story over and over again :)

I am feeling better after talking to the family and asking for their support concerning the side business I want to launch. Whether it will succeed or not, I can only know after trying and the end of december will seal my fate. I need to do something concrete with my life, I just cannot afford sitting and waiting for a miracle to happen. I, among all people, know that.

This week-end saw me going to my ex-hairdresser's. I used to go to his place 20 years ago and since Vijay is not available anymore, I did not have much choice than to run back to Gopee. The place is exactly like I left it 2 decades ago, with the exception of the mildew on the walls. Gopee is still as shy and tight-lipped as ever and he still has not mastered the skills of hairdressing. The picture seemed to be like frozen in time and made me wonder how Naipaul would have described this scene. Gopee would have been a perfect character in Mr. Biswas, that of the observant time watcher who sees a myriad of picturesque characters walking in and out of his salon.He knows the story and secrets of each and every individual but no one ever knows his. The hairdresser is someone you talk to, you confide in, you ask advice to and even request help from by calling upon his network but you never bother asking how he is faring.

5 more minutes to go before the clock strikes midnight...
Happy Birthday Ash, thanks for trying to be a good person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Douze petites minutes

Quatre rues séparent ma maison de C hez Ram où trois pains maison chauds chauds  m'attendent tous les matins: cinq minutes à pieds pour ...