Sunday 31 July 2016

News from the land down under + family secrets

My friend Simon whatsapped me from Melbourne this morning:
Quick group update, Mum overdosed yesterday is in emergency department at Frankston hospital will be moved to mental health ward tomorrow to start shock treatment...I guess accepting dad going into permanent care then her brother dying and then trying to adapt to living alone was a bit too much for her...dad is fine happy in his nursing home.Dog is being lodged in Berwick at a pet motel and I am exhausted...keep u posted Simon xxx
All this sounds quite depressing.I hope life eventually harbors everyone in a safe place where they all find peace of mind.

My brother and his family are going for a road trip. They will drive westwards from Beijing for about three days up to Qinhai lake. They also want to dip into the grasslands of inner Mongolia on their way back. I can't wait to see the pictures of what promises to be an awesome adventure.

Last year, at this very same period, Vimla was on her way to Lhasa and had stopped in Ladakh. She sent me pictures of places of such beauty that I thought they were out of this world. She stopped in a tiny village and asked a lady where she could wash her hair as she had been travelling for ten days without being able to take a proper bath. The woman graciously invited my friend inside her dwelling, heated some water in her pressure cooker, asked her son to go get two small samples of shampoo from the nearby hawker, invited my friend to lie on the bed and washed her hair. She lives in a 15 sq.mt house with her family. This story is like a warm broth on a cold winter evening.




On another note, yesterday, I chatted with my uncle for the first time. He is my father's half brother and his existence had been kept secret for eons from us. It was a well known fact that my paternal grandfather was a womanizer but a lesser known one that he had another child out of his marriage. I came to know about the existence of my uncle just a few years ago and I never knew what he looked like. With the help of FB, I managed to trace him back and was glad and relieved that he accepted my friend request. When Vimla told me that he came to her center, I decided that it was time for me to break the ice and I sent him a message following which we started exchanging. The reason why he kept such a low profile throughout all his life was because he did not want to bother the 'clan'. The dark side of the moon is being revealed. 'The past says a lot about your present ' goes the saying. Maybe there are answers to be found, maybe not.

My brother might be going to Mongolia but my expedition to the land of the unknown seems more daunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Douze petites minutes

Quatre rues séparent ma maison de C hez Ram où trois pains maison chauds chauds  m'attendent tous les matins: cinq minutes à pieds pour ...